Usually I post about things to do in DC, but this weekend is going to be crazy. 18-24 inches of snow are supposed to fall in the Nations Capital. To you guys in the Midwest this doesn’t seem like much, but think about it this way. Last year we got 6 inches of snow. Further, there are only a handful of snowplows. So even a couple of inches of snow cause havoc. That is why there was no bread, milk, meat, eggos and frozen pizza in the grocery store. It is coming up to the big game weekend and I had to wait 30 minutes at the butcher counter just to get ground beef. Don’t even get me started about the people fighting over the last snow shovel. It is a mob scene out here.
So instead of posting what to do in DC, I decided to link to some great recipes that will keep you toasty and warm.
- French Onion Soup – Brown Eyed Baker – I love french onion soup and this one looks amazing.
- Minestrone – Elle’s New England Kitchen – An amazing soup full of veggies, plus it uses pancetta!! Who doesn’t love starting a soup with pork fat. Mmm.
- Kidney Bean Soup – Macheesmo – A hearty soup with a fresh guacamole salsa.
- Roasted Fennel Soup – SippitySup – This is a full bodied soup that develops tons of flavor from roasting the fennel in the oven.
Not so Soupy
- Pork Chops with Pepper Jelly – Nibble Me This – It is few and far between when Chris does a post that does not include the grill. However, this one is awesome. The pepper jelly will keep you warm throughout the biggest snowfall.
- New York Deli Rye Bread – Smitten Kitchen – If you tried to go to the store and couldn’t find bread this should be your next stop. This bread looks so good that you can almost smell it through the monitor.
- Spaghetti and meatballs All’Amatriciana – The Bitten Word – You can never go wrong with spaghetti and meatballs. While meatballs are time consuming to make, there is nothing like homemade.
- French Canadian Pork Pie – Omnomicon – Pork? Yes Please. Pie? Hell yeah. Together, I am there. This pie looks amazing. It combines my favorite things, Pork and Pie.
- Beer Steamed Clams – Steamy Kitchen – I thought the Pork Pie had all of my favorite ingredients. Beer and clams. This is too good to be true.
- Chicken Stuffed Soft Pretzel – The Food in My Beard – The nice soft chewy pretzel surrounding the cheddar stuffed chicken. This is definitely something that I am going to try once I can get my car out and head to the store.
Hopefully these recipes will help you survive the weekend. Keep you fingers crossed for me. I sure hope we don’t get the 24 inches of snow that they forecasted. Either way I stocked up on flour, yeast, tomatoes and cheese. Looks like I am gonna be eating a lot of pizza.
Have a good weekend!!