Starch Starch Starch, I love Starch. This is the greatest meal I have ever had. It is based on one that I had a Bob Evans Restaurant. It is basically a Biscuit, topped with mashed potatoes, topped with chicken noodle soup. Amazing!! This was one meal that I was extremely happy that I had leftovers of.
I can not emphasize how much I enjoyed this meal. Noodles, potatoes and a biscuit, so many carbs, so frickin awesome.
Chicken-N-Noodles over Mashed Potatoes
- Chicken Noodle Soup – Recipe Follows
- Mashed Potatoes – Any will do. Try Garlic Parmesan or Whipped Red Skin Potatoes
- Buttermilk Biscuits
Chicken Noodle Soup – (Adapted from Tyler Florence)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- Tip if you use store bought chicken stock, add 1 tsp chicken base to it to make it extra rich. Chicken base is available at the grocery store near the chicken bouillon. It is similar, except it contains less salt and has a more intense flavor. A little goes a long ways.
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken – (a good shortcut is a roasted chicken from the store)
- 1 batch dumpling noodles (roughly 10 oz of store bought egg noodles)
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots (cut into 1/4 inch rounds)
- 2 ribs celery (sliced lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch slices)
- 2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 sprigs of thyme or 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Making the Soup
Place a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf and cook till the veggies soften, but are not browned. Roughly 6 minutes.
Once the veggies are softened add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. When boiling add the noodles and cook for about 5 minutes.
Fold in the chicken and cook for another 3-5 minutes to heat up the chicken. Season with salt and pepper and you are ready to eat soup.
Assembling the Chicken-N-Noodle bowls
In the center of a large bowl place a single biscuit.
Next add a nice helping of Mashed Potatoes.
Using a ladle, pick up as many noodles and veggies as you can from the chicken noodle soup. Drain most of the liquid out and then place the noodles on top of the potatoes.
Garnish with a little parsley and you have created the greatest dish your family has ever eaten.
It is so simple, but down right amazing. You have to try this dish. It takes home cooking to a new level.