Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu
I have been looking for new and tasty recipes for chicken. After looking through my collection of cookbooks, I rediscovered chicken cordon bleu. The recipe sounded perfect, but I didn’t want a breaded chicken breast. So I thought about it and determined that I could make a similar dish on the grill. I removed the breading, deconstructed it and grilled it. The result turned out to be a fantastic take on Chicken Cordon Bleu. The chicken was perfectly cooked and the Gruyere and Prosciutto mingled perfectly together.
The first step is to pound the chicken out into about 1/4 inch thick slices. To do this, I place the chicken in a heavy duty zip-top bag and then use a meat hammer to pound it thin. If you do not have a meat hammer, use a rolling pin or a can of your favorite vegetables as the pounding out device.
Next rub the chicken with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Remember that we are going to be topping this with Prosciutto, so be light with the salt.
Preheat your grill to high.
Grill the chicken for about 4-5 minutes per side or until the meat is cooked through and the juices run clear.
Once cooked, top the chicken with 2-3 slices of the Gruyere cheese.
Then top with two slices of the prosciutto.
Close the lid and allow the cheese to melt. Roughly 1-2 minutes.
Remove and serve with your favorite sides.
This dish was amazing! The chicken, Gruyere and Prosciutto worked perfectly together. Plus, since the the chicken was grilled and not breaded it came out a bit healthier than its classic alternative.
Overall this dish was fantastic.
Let me know what you think?
- 2 Chicken Breasts – Pounded thin
- 4-6 slices Gruyere
- 4 slices Prosciutto
- Olive Oil
- dash Salt
- dash Pepper
- Pound the chicken out into about ¼ inch thick slices.
- Rub the chicken with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper
- Grill the chicken over high heat for about 4-5 minutes per side or until the meat is cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Once cooked, top the chicken with 2-3 slices of the Gruyere cheese and 2 slices of Prosciutto.
- Close the lid and allow the cheese to melt. Roughly 1-2 minutes.
- Remove and serve with your favorite sides.