Thursday, November 23

Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs

I am a sucker for sweet and spicy flavor profiles.  So when we had a few chicken breasts lying around and a can of pineapple chunks, I knew that I had to make kabobs.  To be honest, I have never been to Hawaii or even had traditional Hawaiian food.  So the authenticity of this dish is not purely Hawaiian, but Hawaiian in style.  These Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs are a chicken kabob coated in a sweet and spicy sauce that takes you right to the beach.

Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs

Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs

In a bowl whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, ginger, garlic powder, pineapple syrup (from the pineapple chunks) and red pepper flakes.  Once combined, set aside.

Marinade

Cut the peppers and onion into 1 inch squares.

Cut the veggies into squares

Place the cubed veggies and drained pineapple chunks into a 1 gallon zip top bag.

Cube the chicken into 1 inch cubes.

Cube the chicken

Add the chicken to the zip top bag.  Then pour 80% of the marinade that you set aside above into the zip top bag.  Reserve the other 20% in the refrigerator for basting later.

Pour in the marinade

Refrigerate the chicken and veggies for at least 1 hour.

Preheat your grill to medium/high heat.  Brush the grates clean.

Skewer the hawaiian chicken kabobs

Spray your skewers with vegetable spray and then arrange the chicken and veggies onto the skewers.  Alternate between the veggies, pineapple chunks and chicken.  You can be as creative with your skewers as you want.

Perfect kabobs

Once you have your skewers made up, place them onto the preheated grill and cook for 12-15 minutes basting with the reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes.

Grill the skewers

Cook until the chicken reads 165 degrees with an instant read thermometer.  If you do not have an instant read thermometer you can cut the chicken to see if the juices run clear.

Hawaiian Chicken Skewers

If you need a thermometer, I recommend the Thermoworks ThermoPop thermometer.  The thermopop is only $29 and is as accurate as the professional Thermapen MK4 which retails for $99.

Perfect Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs

Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the grill and serve.  We recommend serving this delicious dish with rice.

PinterestCollage2

Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs
Author: 
Recipe type: Grilled Chicken
Cuisine: Kabobs
Prep time: 
Cook time: 
Total time: 
Serves: 6
 
A sweet and spicy chicken kabob that takes you right to the beach!
Ingredients
Kabobs
  • 3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 bell peppers (any color)
  • 1 sweet onion
  • 1 can pineapple chunks (20 oz)
  • 1 batch of marinade (see recipe below)
Marinade
  • 6 tbs soy sauce
  • 6 tbs brown sugar
  • 6 tbs pineapple syrup (reserved from pineapple chunks)
  • 4 tbs apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • ½ tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • ½ to 1 tsp red pepper flakes (spice is up to you, this is optional)
Instructions
  1. In a bowl whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, ginger, garlic powder, pineapple syrup (from the pineapple chunks) and red pepper flakes. Once combined, set aside.
  2. Cut the peppers and onion into 1 inch squares. Place the cubed veggies and drained pineapple chunks into a 1 gallon zip top bag.
  3. Cube the chicken into 1 inch cubes.
  4. Add the chicken to the zip top bag. Then pour 80% of the marinade that you set aside above into the zip top bag. Reserve the other 20% in the refrigerator for basting later.
  5. Refrigerate the chicken and veggies for at least 1 hour.
  6. Preheat your grill to medium/high heat. Brush the grates clean.
  7. Spray your skewers with vegetable spray and then arrange the chicken and veggies onto the skewers. Alternate between the veggies, pineapple chunks and chicken. You can be as creative with your skewers as you want.
  8. Once you have your skewers made up, place them onto the preheated grill and cook for 12-15 minutes basting with the reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes. Cook until the chicken reads 165 degrees with an instant read thermometer. If you do not have an instant read thermometer you can cut the chicken to see if the juices run clear.
  9. If you need a thermometer, I recommend the Thermoworks ThermoPop thermometer. The thermopop is only $29 and is as accurate as the professional Thermapen which retails for $96.
  10. Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the grill and serve. We recommend serving this delicious dish with rice.
 

 

About Author

Rex

Rex is an avid griller, barbecuer and bacon enthusiast. He is the Pitmaster for the Rex BBQ competition team. Rex was also featured on the TV show American Grilled. If you have any questions or wish to have Rex decode your favorite dish, click on the ASK REX link in the menu above.

2 Comments

  1. Nice skewers, Rex. I need to go make dinner these are making me hungry. These would go great over a bed of Jasmine rice.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger