Dana was getting inspired by Thanksgiving and wanted to make a nice treat for my son’s class. So, she decided to make some Turkey Sugar Cookies. That alone sounds good, but Dana added my son’s favorite candy to the mix. Yep, Candy corns to form the turkey feathers. These cookies are quick, easy and super delicious! Plus, they look amazing! Super cute Thanksgiving Cookies that are perfect for any Thanksgiving Table.
Turkey Sugar Cookies
Once you have your dough, you need to roll it out until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
Then, using a 2 inch round cookie cutter, you cut out as many circles as you can.
Once your cookies have cooled, the real fun starts.
Then, place 7-8 candy corns along the top over the icing. Make sure to work quickly, as the icing will harden. (The icing will act as the glue so to speak).
Place a dab of icing behind your store bought sugar eyes to affix them to the cookie or you can create your own eyes using the icing. Make sure to place the eyes up close to the feathers. If you place the eyes in the middle of the cookie, it looks like the proportions are weird. Dana learned this lesson the hard way. However, it was great for me because I get to eat the mistake cookies.
Using orange icing make an inverted “V” for the nose.
Finally, using the same orange icing, make turkey feet.
Let the Turkeys sit until the icing sets and then stack and store. Or, you could always devour them. I always choose the latter.
- Turkey Sugar Cookies
- To start you need to make some cut out cookie dough. I have a great recipe here, however you can store bought just as easily. I won't tell.
- Cut out cookie recipe
- Once you have your dough you need to roll it out till it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Then using a 2 inch round cookie cutter, you cut out as many circles as you can.
- Place the cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake according to your recipe.
- Once your cookies have cooled is where the real fun starts.
- Using some store bought orange icing or royal icing make a 1.5 inch arch at the top of the cookie.
- Then place 7-8 candy corns along the top. Make sure to work quickly, as the icing will harden.
- Then use a little dab of the icing to hold on to each eye. Make sure to place the eyes up close to the feathers.
- Then using orange icing make an inverted "V" for the nose.
- Finally using the same orange icing make turkey feet.
- Let the Turkeys sit till the icing sets and then stack and store.
Share this Recipe: