Dana and I love Chuy’s Tex-Mex Restaurant! If you have one near you I recommend that you try it ASAP. Last year during their Hatch Chili Festival they had a limited time special menu that included Queso Fundido. What is Queso Fundido you ask? Well it is freaking glorious! Basically it is a Chorizo and cheese dip that you serve on warm flour tortillas. It is quite possibly the best cheese dish that I have ever had! The ooey gooey cheese and chorizo on a warm tortilla is straight up gold. My mouth is watering as I write this up! You have to try it.
Dana and I are huge fans of Green Chiles. We eat them whenever we can, but Hatch chiles are hard to come by in Virginia. A couple of weeks ago the fine people over at http://www.hatch-green-chile.com/ provided us with 5lbs of medium Hatch green chiles. These are top notch chiles, fire roasted, seeded and then flash frozen. They then deliver them right to your door in a cooler filled with dry ice. Pretty much the only way to get Hatch chiles on the east coast. We used a bunch to make some Green Chile Enchiladas and figured it would be great to use some in queso.
Hatch Green Chile Queso
The first thing that you need is to get 3-4 chiles roasted, peeled and seeded. If you are lucky, the Hatch Chile Store already did this for you. If not you will need to roast, peel and seed the chiles yourself. I have directions in my Green Chile burger post.
To start heat olive oil and onions in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook the onions till they are translucent. Roughly 5 minutes.
Then add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
Add the 1/3 cup milk and roasted chiles. Cook for 3 minutes or until the milk is warmed. Add the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and cumin into the pan.
Then slowly add the 8 oz of White American Cheese and 4 oz of Monterrey Jack cheese. Stirring as you add the cheese.
Stir until melted.
Simmer for 5 minutes or until smooth and delicious!
Serve with your favorite chips.
- 4 hatch chiles, roasted, peeled and seeded (or equivalent peppers)
- 8 oz White American Cheese, cubed
- 4 oz Monterrey Jack Cheese, cubed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (1/2 tsp if you like it hot, some like it hot)
- To start heat olive oil and onions in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook the onions till they are translucent. Roughly 5 minutes.
- Then add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add the ⅓ cup milk and roasted chiles. Cook for 3 minutes or until the milk is warmed.
- Add the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and cumin into the pan.
- Then slowly add the 8 oz of White American Cheese and 4 oz of Monterrey Jack cheese. Stirring as you add the cheese.
- Stir until melted.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until smooth and delicious!
- Serve with your favorite chips.
We received medium spiced chiles from http://www.hatch-green-chile.com/ and they were not too spicy. However, it is noted that I have a high tolerance for spice. Next time I will opt for the hot chiles.
It is noted that we received the Hatch Green Chiles from http://www.hatch-green-chile.com/ for free, but did not get paid or compensated in any other way for this review. I am not an affiliate and I do not receive any compensation for any sales resulting from this review.